Monday, April 26, 2010

God being in control...

of our finances?!?

I was really hesitant when I read the outline for our Sunday sermon. God controlling our finances? I get antsy when the preacher talks about tithing and giving more to God. It always makes me feel bad (because of course I am not giving/tithing like we should). So needless to say I was not thrilled upon reading the outline. But as our preacher spoke and pointed out scripture, the one that weighed heaviest on my heart was Malachi 3:7-10

7 Ever since the time of your forefathers you have turned away from my decrees and have not kept them. Return to me, and I will return to you," says the LORD Almighty.
"But you ask, 'How are we to return?'
8 "Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me.
"But you ask, 'How do we rob you?'
"In tithes and offerings. 9 You are under a curse—the whole nation of you—because you are robbing me. 10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.



I thought the entire time the preacher spoke. I prayed on my knees during prayer. I knew God was working in my heart to give more. I told him "what do I have to give?"

My husband and I (as much as I do not like to admit) live paycheck to paycheck. We are in no place to be "giving away" money. BUT our preacher made a great point. He said: We are just stewards of the money..it is all God's money. That makes so much sense. As he states in Malachi 3, God wants us to give to others and Him and we will be blessed beyond our imagination.

I am writing this today because after getting home from church my husband I talked and decided that God was weighing on BOTH of our hearts that morning. And we made an agreement/vow to tithe 10%. Which is truly not much but it is what we feel led to tithe right now. We sat down and took a look at our budget and just budgeted in our tithing just as if it were another bill, but oh is it so much more. It makes me feel so good about what God is doing in our lives.

My husband and I have both fallen off the beaten path before, but I can honestly say that since being with Noah (we started dating in Aug. 2008) that my life has turned around drastically. I am back on path with the Lord (not exactly where I need to be, but I am working on my faith in HIM daily) and we have HIM in our marriage. I could not ask for more.

I am so happy to be able to finally accomplish this small step in serving HIM with my entire life! Not just in the portions that I choose. That is not fully living a life for HIM, and that is my ultimate goal...to live my life where God is not just a portion of it but where he is in control of ALL of it! How amazing would that be!

1 comment:

  1. Oh I know what you're talking about. Since I have been diagnosed and out of work, we've been living paycheck to paycheck, and sometimes this didn't work well either. We had to ask my parents for help numerous times. And yet I felt that God asked me to give to the ones in need. After some thought and discussion with Hubby, we both decided we'd give whenever we feel led. And I tell you what, I have never been more at peace about my finances than before. God has worked out numerous ways for us and provided money when we didn't think there'd be any. And we're more than willing to share our money. We're currently sponsoring a child through Compassion and whenever we get extra money, 10% go to charity/church.

    ReplyDelete