Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Update on Pregnancy...

It has been a while since I have posted an update about me and Miss Isabella so I wanted to write all the things that have happened so I don't forget them.

Last Thursday (07/15), I had my normal OB visit appointment. I was dilated 3 cm, 80% effaced and the doctor said she was pretty low in my pelvis.

Friday was a normal work day, I trained a new girl on my position at work and just had a pretty normal day.

Saturday, I got up early and had to take my last test of the semester for school (FYI-I passsed..done until August 1st). I had a long ways to walk to get to the building to take the test and it kind of exhausted me and I knew that wasn't normal even though I am pregnant. I came home and rested for a while. We went to a picnic at our church and stayed for about an hour and a half before I got really dizzy and just had to get out of the heat. Later that night, I started having contractions that were more regular (about 15 minutes apart) but I didn't pay much attention because they were still far apart.

Sunday, I woke up and was still contracting about 15 to 20 minutes apart. We skipped Sunday school and just went to the worship service/sermon. We relaxed for the afternoon and then dropped the kids off back at their moms house. Later we drove to my Aunt's new house about 30 minutes from our house to visit with her and my little brother who was also down visiting her (from AR). By that time, I was contracting about every 7-9 minutes. Still not thinking much of it at that point because they were bareable. As I sat at her house, they got closer together and stronger/longer. I started getting sick to my stomach and having a really awful headache. Finally, Me, my little brother, and Noah decided to head to the labor and delivery department at the hospital I am delivering at. I got checked in and I was still dilated to 3 cm and 80% effaced.

They started monitoring my contractions which were at this point about 5-6 minutes apart. I was also having what they called "uterine irritability" which was causing me some pain. They did a urine culture because I was having pain while urinating. My urine culture was negative. After monitoring my contractions for about an hour they gave me a shot to stop the "uterine irritability". About an hour after that shot, they checked me again and I had not made any progress from the contractions (ugh!) so they sent me home with a sleeping pill at about midnight.

Needless to say, I didn't sleep much that night. I woke up Monday morning still contracting and feeling sick. However, I had not fully trained my temp girl at work so I went ahead and went to work for a couple hours. Monday night I started having very intense contractions about 3-4 minutes apart. But the nurses (and my doctor) had told me the night before at the hospital that I didn't need to come back until the contractions were so intense that I could not handle them. But I just gritted my teeth and held my breath (I know you are supposed to breath and NOT hold your breath but it is an automatic reaction for me) and made it through the contractions. I laid down and tried to fall asleep..apparently I was so exhausted that I was able to fall asleep after about an hour. I woke up several times with intense contractions but still fell back asleep.

Tuesday (today) morning I woke up and my contractions had gone back down to every 5-7 minutes and were not near as intense. (ugh, again!) So I went back to work for just the morning time. I came home and napped for about 3 hours as well, because I have not been sleeping but for about 4-5 hours each night.

Now as I am typing this, my contractions are about 5-7 minutes apart still and some are more intense than others.

So as a recap, I have been in labor for 3 days!!!! I am sooo tired and really ready for my baby girl to make her appearance :) I think she will be here (I am being really really hopeful) by this weekend.

I hope you all are having a grand week! I hope my next post is telling you she has made it :)


  1. Sounds very similar to my first birth...labor for 4 days, 2 of them very intense. In the hospital last 19...

    All of my pregnancies that I delivered vaginally were really long...even my 3rd last almost 30 hours (9.5 pound baby)

    The last two were c-section which was almost a relief!

    Good luck...you just never know how your body is going to labor. Kim

  2. I found your blog from MckMama's Discussion Board. I read that you dropped your boys off at their mom's house. If you don't mind me asking... Are the first two children your step children? I only ask because I am in a very similar situation. I know how much of a challenge this situation can be. I wanted to wish you well on your pregnancy and upcoming delivery. No one could explain to me the bond between mother and child. I suddenly understood what it meant to be a "mom." Again, I am praying for you and relief. Enjoy every moment/movement of pregnancy. I miss that the most!


  3. My last one was like that. Kept wondering how I would know for real. But I did. There was no mistaking when the real ones started.

    Hoping to hear good news soon. Keep us posted.