Thursday, May 6, 2010

My Mother(s)

In light of Mother’s Day on Sunday.  I thought I would write a post about the mothers in my life.  They have all added something so very special to my life and life would not be the same without them.  I am so thankful for all of them and wanted to pay this small tribute to each one. 

My Mother (Mommy) Brenda

I introduced you to my mom briefly here.  But I thought I would tell you a little more about her.  Please don’t think I am telling you a secret when I talk about my mom.  She is completely an open book about her past and does not care at all if people know.  That is one thing that I absolutely love about her.  She is so open, she does not try to hide her imperfections, she will tell you she has made and daily makes mistakes.  She does not put on a “front” to try and be something she isn’t.  She is truly her…She is Brenda.  You know the saying “What you see is what you get”? Well that sums up my mom in 7 little words.  I wouldn't change/trade her for the world

My mom had an addiction to drugs, mainly crystal meth, for many years.  She was in and out of jail many times for various things.  I was naive to most of this growing up until my teen years.  In 2006, my mom was arrested and sentenced to prison time.  I don’t recall exactly how much time she spent in county jail and then in prison but it was about the equivalent of  10-11 months.  I went to see my mom every time she had visitation, which was every other weekend just about.  This was no small feat, the prison she was in, was about 4 hours from my home.  She was released on January 25, 2007, which also happens to be my niece’s (her granddaughter’s) 1st Birthday.  She was thrilled to be coming home on such a special day and getting to spend that 1st birthday with her 1st grandbaby.  I picked her up from prison that day.  It was a special moment for my mom and I.   I felt like I had my “real” mom back.  No drugs, no lies, no nothing..just Mom :)

My mom now is saved and is a great Christian woman.  She is always there for us no matter what and I am so excited to be giving her another granddaughter.  I could not ask for a better mom and I would not change her past for anything because I believe that is how she came to Christ and no way is the “wrong” way to be led to HIM!

I have been told my entire life that I am my mom’s twin…I don’t see it..Do you?

mom 4

 

 

My Step-Mom Dana

I also introduced you to Dana briefly in this post.  Like I stated in that post, my dad married Dana when I was 5-ish?  I think.  Don’t quote me on that one.  It has been a long time..lets just put it that way.  Dana and I didn’t always get along, as with a lot of step-mothers and step-daughters.  But as I got older and more mature we really got to know each other more and finally became friends.  I respect Dana a whole lot.  She raised her own 2 kids and helped raise my brother and I. 

In 2003 (I think, again don’t quote me) Dana was diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer.  We were all so shocked and just could not believe it.  We all had to go to a meeting with the doctor when she started chemotherapy and he told us what would happen.  We had no idea what to expect.  Dana got very sick, lost her hair, but NEVER, EVER gave up.  She was one tough cookie.  After chemotherapy didn’t work, Dana had a mastectomy.   She is now cancer-free and we are so happy that God brought her and our family through that rough part of life.  I honestly believe that without HIM we would have been complete basketcases.  HE is the one that healed her and for that we are forever grateful!

There is a song that reminds of me Dana by Craig Morgan, here are the lyrics:

We sat there five years ago
The doctors let us know, the test showed
She’d have to fight to live, I broke down and cried
She held me and said it’s gonna be alright
She wore that wig to church
Pink ribbon pinned there on her shirt
No room for fear, full of faith
Hands held high singing Amazing Grace
Never once complained, refusing to give up
And I thought I was tough


Chorus
She’s strong, pushes on, can’t slow her down
She can take anything life dishes out
There was a time
Back before she was mine
When I thought I was tough


She’s a gentle word, the sweetest kiss
A velvet touch against my skin
I’ve seen her cry, I’ve seen her break
But in my eyes, she’ll always be strong

Dana is so strong.  That is what I admire about her the most.  I love having her as a step-mom, and as far as step-moms go…I have the best!

cori and dana

 

My Mother-in-Law Teresa

Noah and I started dating in September 2008.  It was not long (maybe a week) after we started dating that I met his parents.  I remember thinking “Wow she’s pretty” when Noah’s mom stepped out of her bedroom.  Teresa is one of the sweetest, most sincere, most graceful women I know.  She is a “girly girl” and has somehow transformed me into one (sort of) ha! But I love it! 

Teresa and I get along great and I could not ask for a better (non-nosey) mother-in-law.  She is not a mother-in-law that gets in your business and tells you how to do things “right” for her son.  Nope, she is not that at all! We live with her (and Noah’s dad Leroy) and I get the same question all the time “Don’t living with your mother-in-law drive you crazy?”  My answer is always the same…”actually..NO!” I love living there and am so thankful that they are letting us live there while we get our feet on the ground and our finances straight to buy our own house.  I see it as a great benefit and by no means a downfall or awful situation. 

Teresa spoils us (me AND Noah) rotten!! We love it (of course, who wouldn’t?) I love being able to say that I truly LOVE my mother-in-law! She is a great person and I could not ask for better in-laws!

me and teresa

 

So there you go.  My 3 mothers.  Each one unique, individual and I would not trade any of them for the world! 

Happy Mother’s Day to the 3 Mothers in my life!! I love you all!

1 comment:

  1. Cori, that was very beautiful. I loved reading this post. I especially loved the part about your Mommy. What an incredible woman to overcome her past and to find the Lord.

    ReplyDelete